Named for Pierre de Beuro
Pierre de Beuro [? - 1790] was a French Creole. He established a trading post on the Illinois River and trading with the Indians. de Beuro was killed in an Indian attack in 1790.
Established in 1837
The area was originally part of Putnam County, which was formed in 1825.
Part of the Military Tract
Land granted to veterans of the War of 1812. Only the southern part of Bureau County was part of the Military Tract. [More about the Military Tract]
Built between 1890-1907 across Bureau County to connect the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. [More about the canal]