Origin of Names of Communities
Bureau County, Illinois, USA
- named after Arlington, NY by Capt. Michael Kennedy,
- reportedly named for the capital of Hungary, Buda on the banks of the Danube River.
- Bureau (Junction)
- named after the Frenchman named Pierre de Beuro. de Beuro established a trading post
with the Indians on the Illinois River in the 1700s.
- Cherry was the name of the coal mine around which the town developed about 1906.
The mine was named for James Cherry of the St. Paul Coal Co.
- named for Samuel M. Dalzell, general manager of the Spring Valley Coal Co, which
operated the nearby No. 5 coal mine.
- Historically known as Newport Steamboat Landing, Trenton ,
Sherman , DuPue , and finally DePue.
- named after Dover, NH, the home town of Sylvester Brigham
who platted the town in 1833. An adjacent area platted by
Eli Lapsley was originally named Livingston for the US Secretary of
State Edward Livingston.
- Named after Dr. S. S. Holloway who platted the town in 1857; incorporated in 1893
- Romanus Hodgman platted the village which was named after
J.S. and Sumner Kasbeer
- the word is French for soil or dirt; may have been named for
the Lamoille River in Vermont
- originally called Wiona, renamed by large number of settlers from Malden, Mass.
- named in 1845 for Manlius, NY, home of postmaster Allen S. Lathrop
- incorporated in 1899
- originally two villages: Barren Grove and Brawby; combined in 1855
and named Neponset, an Indian name
- New Bedford
- Historically known as Winnebago and Tailhot. Named Winnebago by settlers from
New Bedord, Mass.
- First a depot on the CB & Q railroad line named Albrecht.
Eventually renamed after an early nearby post office.
- City commissioners, Roland Moseley, John Musgrove and John P. Blake drew
the name out of hat in 1834. Princeton was Musgrove's choice, as he was from
Princeton, New Jersey.
- platted by James H. and Isom Seaton and Arthur Brooke
- named for Joseph Earl Sheffield, who was a financier for the Chicago, Rock Island &
- Spring Valley
- named for Spring Creek which is nearby.
- named after Chief Tiskilwa; area was a settlement of Pottowatomie Indians
- Van Orin
- name given to the railroad depot in honor of AVan Orin Cresap, a prominent resident
of the area.
- in 1837, called Walnut Grove for the nearby trees. Named Brewersville
in 1865, by Richard Brewer, then Walnut in 1872 by Truman Wolf.
- named in 1855 when CB & Q Railroad was constructed through town.
| Bureau County | Infobahn Outfitters Home Page |
Looking for more info?
Copyright © 1995-2015 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc., All rights reserved.