Methodist Clergyman - Circuit Rider - Illinois State Representative
- Methodist clergyman
- Circuit Rider (minister who traveled a circuit)
- Founder of Illinois Conference Female Academy (now MacMurray College) in Jacksonville in 1846
- strong opponent of slavery
- served for 16 years as a member of the Illinois state legislature (State Representative in 6th and 8th General Assemblies)
- only political defeat was by Abraham Lincoln in a race for the U.S. Congress in 1846
- The Autobiography of Peter Cartwright was published in 1856.
- buried near Pleasant Plains, Illinois
| Famous Illinoisians | Illinois in the American Civil War |
Research in Illinois |
Comments or suggestions to: Contact me
Copyright © 1996-2019 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.