Village Museum former United Brethren Church, Alexis, IL
1-5 PM Saturday, August 26, 1995
1-4 PM Sunday, August 27, 1995
no admission charge
historical displays about the Alexis area
hoping to have live entertainment and free refreshments
Several months ago, the United Brethren Church discontinued operations and the building was sold to the Village of Alexis with the intent that it be used for a community museum since the village has had so much interesting history over the years. Recently meetings have been held, committees have formed and the ground work has begun. It will involve much work, time and effort for many to make this project a success. Many details must be considered, such as membership, bylaws, insurance, maintenance, preservation of antiques and heirlooms, records to keep and many more. August 26 and 27, Alexis is having their 125 year celebration and big plans are being made for two big days of events with parade, fun and enjoyment for all those attending. Members of the museum committee would like to invite everyone to visit the museum from l-5 pm. on Saturday, August 26 and from 1-4 pm. on Sunday, August 27. The museum will have interesting history and photos of the area and even though there will be very few museum articles at that time, many tables of fine antiques and primitives will be displayed by citizens in the area. There wi11 be no admission charge and it is our hope at this time that live entertainment and free refreshments will be available during those hours. At this time, we also have hopes of getting the History of Alexis on Internet through a new company in Macomb. If this is achieved, the history of the village can be reached on any computer anywhere in the U.S. and many foreign countries. Alexis has much history since it was platted in 1870 by Robert Holloway and J. E. Alexander. It was first named Alexander and later changed to Alexis - named after Grand Duke Alexis, heir to the Russian throne. He had been visiting the country hunting buffalo. Col. Holloway, with the Duke's consent, changed the post office name to Alexis.
A number of years ago, Alexis made the "Ripley's Believe It or Not" as the only town in the U.S. to be located in two counties and four townships.
Writer Frasier "Spike" Hunt purchased the Alexis Argus newspaper in 1913. He was the author of many books, including "Sycamore Bend," later made into a movie. He became a correspondent for the New York Sun in 1916. He was also a close friend of the Duke of Windsor.
Alexis is known as the Home of the Clydesdale Horses. Col. Holloway raised, imported and exported purebred Clydesdales and at one time had over one hundred in barns when a raid to steal them was attempted (a very interetsing story in itself). [See The Holloway Raid]
Col. Holloway was an orator and a politicain, being very influential, he was asked to introduce Stephen Douglas when he spoke on the square of Monmouth on October 5, 1858.
Alexis has a pottery that was destroyed by fire on September, 1900.
These are just a few of the things that our community will remember and cherish. Please come and see our Museum across from the park, in the church building August 26, 1-5 pm and August 27, 1-4 pm. We, the committee, will do our best to be courteous and make your visit enjoyable.
Didn't find what you wanted? Check our Illinois Links.