Famous Illinoisians with Civil War Ties
John McAllister Schofield
Civil War General
- Born in 1831 in Chautauqua County, NY.
- graduate of West Point Military Academy.
- Became one of 43 fully commissioned Brigadier Generals from Illinois during the Civil War.
- His troops captured Wilmington, NC and defended Franklin, Tennessee in 1864.
- After the Civil War, Schofield was the Secretary of War
- from 1888-95 he was the Commanding General of the US Army.
- Schofield Barracks, a US Army Post about 30 miles north of Honololulu, Hawaii, is named after him.
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/schofield-jm.html
Last update: Wednesday, 05-Nov-1997 21:59:40 CST
Copyright © 1996-2019 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.