Famous Illinoisians with Civil War Ties
Michael Kelly Lawler
Mexican War soldier - Civil War General
- Irishman from Equality-Shawneetown (Gallatin County), Illinois
- served in Mexican War
- Commanded 18th Illinois Infantry
- Wounded at Fort Donelson, when the 18th ran out of cartridges
while defending the Forge Road
- Promoted to Brigadier General in Nov. 1862.
- Commanded 2nd Brigade of Carr's Division at Big Black River, Mississippi
- Illinois in the Civil War by Victor Hicken (1991) University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago
- Michael Kelly Lawler, Mexican and Civil War Officer Journal of the Ill. State Historical Society, XLVIII, No. 4 (Winter 1955)
- Lawler's papers - Collection at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale; microfilm copy at IL State Historical Library
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/lawler-mk.html
Last update: Monday, 26-Feb-1996 13:38:59 CST
Copyright © 1996-2017 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.