Famous Illinoisians with Civil War Ties
Ulysses S. Grant
Soldier - Real Estate Agent - Merchant - General - US President
- Attended US Military Academy at West Point, NY
- Fought in Mexican War, 1846-1848
- Lived about 10 miles southwest of St. Louis, MO;
Grant's Farm is now a tourist attraction
owned by Anheuser-Busch Companies.
- worked in father's leather store in Galena, IL in April 1861
- Colonel of the 21st Illinois Infantry in 1861
- Brigadier, Major, and Liet. General during the Civil War
- Ulysses S. Grant Home State Historic Site is in Galena, Illinois.
The house was presented to Grant upon his return from the Civil War in 1865.
- Elected as 18th US President; served from 1869-1877
- died 23 Jul 1885 in New York
- buried in New York City.
- Father: Jesse R. Grant
- Brothers: Simpson and Orvil
- Son: Frederick [at age 11, accompanied his father across Illinois with the 21st Infantry
Other WWW Information about U.S. Grant
- The Ulysses S. Grant Association
- US Presidents from University of Tennessee - Knoxville
- Inaugural Addresses of the US Presidents - Project Bartleby
- US Grant Network
- US Grant Homepage
- REPORT OF THE ADJUTANT GENERAL OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS FOR THE YEARS
1861-1866, v. 1, Illinois Adjutant General, 1900.
- Colonel Grant of the Illinois Volunteers. by John Y. Simon. Illinois Civil War Sketches, No. 6.
published by Illinois State Historical Library for the Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/grant-us.html
Last update: Friday, 14-Nov-1997 13:04:10 CST
Copyright © 1996-2018 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.