5th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
5th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
- Organized at Camp Butler, Ills., August 31 to December 30, 1861.
- Moved to Benton Barracks, Mo., February 20, 1862.
- Thence to Pilot Knob, Mo., March 3.
- Moved to Doniphan March 27-April 1 and
- to Pocahontas April 17.
- Attached to Steele's Division, Army of Southeast Missouri, to May, 1862.
- Army of Southwest Missouri to July, 1862.
- District of Eastern Arkansas, Department of Missouri. to December, 1862.
- 1st Brigade 3rd (Cavalry) Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, to January, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, 13th Army Corps, Department of the Tennessee, to April, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, to June, 1863.
- Cavalry Herron's Division 13th Army Corps to August, 1863.
- Winslow's Cavalry Brigade, 16th Army Corps to December, 1863.
- Winslow's Cavalry Brigade, 17th Army Corps and District of Vicksburg, Miss., to January, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee to June 1865.
- Departments of the Gulf and Texas to October 1865.
- Action at Putnam's Ferry, Mo., April 1, 1862.
- Doniphan April 4.
- Pocahontas April 21.
- Scouting and skirmishing in Arkansas and Missouri till June.
- Smlthville June 17 (Cos. "D," "F" and "L").
- March to Helena, Ark., June 26-July 14.
- Hill's Plantation, Cache River, July 7.
- At Helena, Ark., till May, 1863.
- Expedition from Helena to Clarendon August 4-17, 1862.
- Clarendon August 15.
- Expedition from Helena to Jeffersonville and Marlana September 2-6.
- Expedition from Clarendon to Lawrenceville and St. Charles September 11-13.
- Near Helena October 22.
- Expedition from Helena to Arkansas Post November 16-21.
- Expedition from Helena to Grenada, Miss., November 27-December 5.
- Moved to Snyder's Bluff, Miss., May 31-June 1, 1863.
- Expedition to Satartia June 2-8 (Detachment).
- Satartia June 4 (Detachment).
- Raid to Brookhaven June 23-26 (Detachment).
- Expedition from Snyder's Bluff to Greenville June 25-July 1 (three companies).
- Rocky Creek, near Ellisville, June 26 (three Companies).
- Gaines' Landing, Ark., June 28.
- Advance on Jackson Miss., July 6-10.
- Siege of Jackson July 10-17.
- Near Canton July 12.
- Holton's Depot July 16.
- Grant's Ferry, Pearl River, July 16.
- Briar Creek near Canton, July 17.
- Canton July 18.
- Bolton's Depot July 24.
- Raid from Big Black River, on Mississippi Central R. R., and to Memphis, Tenn., August 10-22.
- Payne's Plantation, near Grenada, August 18.
- Panola August 20.
- Coldwater August 21.
- Moved from Memphis to Vicksburg, Miss., August 23-27, and
- duty in that District till January, 1865.
- Expedition from Big Black River to Yazoo City September 27-October 1, 1863 (Detachment).
- Brownsville September 28 (Detachment).
- Morris Ford, near Benton, September 29 (Detachment).
- Expedition to Canton October 14-20.
- Brownsville October 15.
- Canton Road, near Brownsville, October 15-16.
- Near Clinton and Vernon Cross Roads October 16.
- Bogue Chitto Creek October 17.
- Robinson's Mills, near Livingston, October 17.
- Livingston Road, near Clinton, October 18.
- Oak Ridge January 16, 1864.
- Meridian Campaign February 3-March 2.
- Champion's Hill February 4,
- Jackson February 6.
- Brandon February 7.
- Morton February 8.
- About Meridian February 9 to 13.
- Hillsboro February 10.
- Meridian February 13-14.
- Marion Station February 16.
- Clinton April 3.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City May 4-21 (Detachment).
- Yazoo River May 29.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Pearl River July 2-10.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Deer Creek September 21-26.
- Expedition to Rodney and Fayette September 29-October 3 (Detachment).
- Port Gibson September 30.
- Expedition from Natchez to Woodville October 4-11 (Detachment).
- Woodville October 5-6 (Detachment).
- Operations In Issaqueena and Washington Counties October 24-31.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Gaines' Landing, Ark., and Bayou Macon, La., November 6-8.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City November 23-December 4.
- Franklin Creek, Miss, December 21-22.
- Moved to Memphis, Tenn., January 24, 1865.
- Expedition through Southern Arkansas and Northern Louisiana January 26-February 13.
- At Memphis Tenn., till June.
- Expedition into Northern Mississippi March 3-11.
- Moved to Alexandria, La., via Red River, July 1,
- thence march to Hempstead, Texas, August 12, arriving August 26, and
- duty there till October.
- Moved to Springfield, Ills., October 6-17.
- Mustered out October 27, 1865.
Regiment lost during service
- 28 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 6 Officers and 414 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 447.
[5th Illinois Cavalry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/cwc5-dyer.html
Last update: Sunday, 03-Dec-1995 22:26:52 CST
Copyright © 1996-2018 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.