12th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
12th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
- Companies "A," "B," "C," "D," "E" and "G" organized at Springfield, Ill., and
- mustered in February 24, 1862.
- Captain Gilmore's Company of Cavalry, Company "A," 32nd Illinois, organized at
Camp Butler December 31, 1861; assigned as Company "F."
- Captain Sheerer's and Captain Barker's Companies, McClellan Dragoons, organized
at Chicago, Ill., October, 1861; assigned as Company "H."
- Captain Brown's Company, McClellan Dragoons, organized at Chicago, Ill.,
October, 1861; assigned as Company "I."
- Companies "K," "L" and "M" organized at Springfield, Ill., December 30, 1863,
to January 12, 1864.
- Duty at Camp Butler, Ill., guarding prisoners, till June, 1862.
- Ordered to Martinsburg, W. Va., June 20.
- Attached to District of Martinsburg W. Va., to September, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to October, 1862.
- Defences Upper Potomac, 8th Army Corps, Middle Dept. to February, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Cavalry Corps, Army Potomac, to November, 1863.
- Chicago, Ill., to February, 1864.
- District of St. Louis, Mo., Dept, of Missouri, to March, 1864.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to June,1864.
- District of LaFourche, Dept. of the Gulf, to August. 1864.
- 4th Brigade, Cavalry Division Dept. of the Gulf, August, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Oept. of the Gulf, to February, 1865.
- 2nd Brigade Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee, to July 1865.
- Dept. of Texas to May, 1866.
- Duty at Martinsburg, W. Va., and on the Upper Potomac to September, 1862.
- Near Martinsburg September 3.
- Bunker Hill September 3-4.
- Martinsburg September 6.
- Darkesville September 7.
- Williamsport, Md., September 11.
- Martinsburg September 11-12.
- Defence of Harper's Ferry, W. Va., September 13-14.
- Regiment cut way through enemy's lines on night of September 14.
- Antietam, Md., September 16-18.
- Hagerstown, Md., September 20.
- Duty on Upper Potomac September 20 to December 8.
- Williamsport September 21
- McCoy's or Russell's Ferry and near Green Springs Furnace October 10.
- Reconnoissance from Bolivar Heights to Rippon, W. Va., November 9.
- Dumfries, Va., December 26-27.
- At Falmouth, Va., till April 1863.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 8.
- Stoneman's Raid April 29-May 8.
- Tunstall Station May 4.
- Aylett's May 5.
- Raid from Yorktown into Matthews County May 19-23
- March to Falmouth, Va., Brandy Station and Beverly Ford June 9.
- Upperville June 21.
- Expedition from Yorktown to South Anna Bridge June 23-28 (Detachment).
- South Anna Bridge June 26 (Detachment).
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
- Williamsport, Md., July 6.
- Bronsboro July 8.
- Benevola or Beaver Creek July 9.
- At and near Funkstovvn July 10-13.
- Falling Waters July 14
- Chester Gap July 26.
- Kelly's Ford July 31-August 1.
- Brandy Station August 1-4.
- Near Fairfax Court House August 6 (Detachment).
- Brandy Station and Culpeper Court House September 7-8.
- Near Bristoe Station September 12.
- Advance from the Rappahannock to the Rapidan September 13-17
- Culpeper Court House September 13.
- Raccoon Ford September 14-16.
- Stevensburg September 17.
- Reconnoissance across the Rappahannock September 21-23.
- Jack's Shop, Madison Court House, September 22.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Raccoon and Morton's Fords October 10.
- Brandy Station October 11-12.
- Rappahannock Station October 27.
- Moved to Chicago Ill., November 20-28, and
- duty there till February, 1864.
- Moved to St. Louis, Mo., February 9,
- thence moved to New Orleans, La., March 15-April 1.
- Moved to Red River April 20,
- arriving at Alexandria April 23.
- Actions at Alexandria April 28-May 8.
- Bayou Teche, La., May 5-8.
- Wilson's Landing May 14.
- Avoyelle's or Marksville Prairie May 15.
- Mansura May 16.
- Yellow Bayou May 17.
- Morganza May 20.
- Arrived at New Orleans, La., June 1.
- Moved to Napoleonville June 11, and
- duty there till October, engaged in picketing and scouting.
- Near Napoleonville July 29 (Co. "L").
- Expedition from Paincoursville to Natchez, Miss., with
- skirmish August 15-21 (Cos. "I," "L").
- Expedition to Grand Lake, Grand River and Lake Natchez September 7-11.
- Expedition from Napoleonville to Grand River and Bayou Pigeon September 26-30.
- Moved to Baton Rouge, La., and duty there till November 14.
- Liberty November 18.
- Davidson's Expedition against Mobile and Ohio R. R. November 27-December 13.
- Expedition from Baton Rouge to Clinton December 23-24.
- Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., thence to Memphis, Tenn., and to Gaines' Landing,
- Ark., January 7-26, 1865.
- Osban's Expedition through Southern Arkansas and Northern Louisiana January 27-February 14.
- Duty near Memphis, Tenn., till June.
- Expedition from Memphis, Tenn. into Northern Mississippi March 3-11.
- Moved to Alexandria, La., June 15-22,
- thence marched to Hempstead Texas, August 8-26.
- Duty in Eastern Texas till May 1866.
- Mustered out May 29, 1866.
Regiment lost during service
- 38 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 4 Officers and 192 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 234.
[12th Illinois Cavalry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/cwc12-dyer.html
Last update: Saturday, 02-Dec-1995 23:41:51 CST
Copyright © 1996-2018 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.