11th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
11th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
- Organized at Peoria, Ill., and
- mustered in December 20, 1861.
- Duty at Peoria till February, 1862.
- Moved to Benton Barracks, Mo., February 22-March 3, and
- duty there till March 28.
- Moved to Pittsburg Landing, Tenn, March 25-April 1.
- (1st Battalion to Crump's Landing and joined Lew Wallace's 3rd Division, Army Tennessee.)
- Attached to 3rd Division, Army Tennessee, to July, 1862.
- 6th Division, Army Tennessee, to July, 1862 (2nd and 3rd Battalions).
- District of Memphis, Tenn., to September, 1862, and
- District of Jackson, Tenn., to November, 1862 (1st Battalion).
- District of Corinth, Miss., to September, 1862, and
- District of Jackson, Tenn., to November, 1862 (2nd and 3rd Battalions)
- Cavalry Brigade, District of Jackson, Left Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862
- Cavalry Brigade, District of Jackson, 16th Army Corps, to March. 1863.
- Mizner's Cavalry Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Army Corps, to June, 1863.
- 4th Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, 16th Army Corps, to August, 1863.
- Winslow's Cavalry Brigade, 15th Army Corps, to December, 1863.
- Winslow's Cavalry Brigade, 17th Army Corps, and District of Vicksburg, Miss., to December, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee, to June, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee, to September, 1865.
- Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7, 1862.
- Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30.
- Pursuit to Booneville May 30-June 12.
- Coldwater Station, Miss., June 21 (3rd Battalion).
- Salisbury, Tenn, August 11.
- Bolivar, Tenn., August 30.
- Davis Bridge, Hatchie River, Tenn., September 25.
- Battle of Corinth, Miss., October 3-4.
- Pursuit to Hatchie River October 5-12.
- Grant's Central Mississippi Campaign November, 1862, to January, 1863.
- Lexington, Tenn., December 18, 1862.
- Salem Cemetery, near Jackson, Tenn.. December 19.
- Huntington, Tenn., December 29-30.
- Parker's Cross Roads, Red Mound, December 30-31.
- Near Yorkville, Tenn., January 28, 1863.
- Dyersburg January 30.
- Operations in Northwest Mississippi June 15-25.
- Near Holly Springs, Miss., June 16-17.
- Hudsonville and on Helena Road, Miss., June 21.
- Bolivar, Tenn., July 10.
- Expedition from Memphis, Tenn., to Grenada, Miss., August 12-23.
- Expedition from LaGrange to Toone Station September 11-16.
- Ordered to Vicksburg, Miss., and duty in that District till December, 1864.
- Expedition from Big Black River to Yazoo City, Miss., September 27-October 1, 1863.
- Brownsville September 28.
- Morris Ford, near Benton, September 29.
- Expedition to Canton October 14-20.
- Canton Road near Brownsville October 15-16.
- Near Clinton and Vernon Roads October 16.
- Bogue Chitto Creek, October 17.
- Robinson's Mills, near Livingston, October 17.
- Livingston Road, near Clinton, October 18
- Near Natchez, Miss., December 7.
- Meridian Campaign February 3-March 2, 1864.
- Champion's Hill February 4.
- Jackson February 5.
- Hillsborough February 6.
- Brandon February 7.
- Morton February 8.
- Meridian February 9-13.
- Hillsborough February 10.
- Meridian February 13-14.
- Canton February 29 (Detachment).
- Brownsville March 3.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City May 4-21.
- (Detachment) Benton May 7 and 9.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Pearl River July 2-10
- Clinton July, 5.
- Clinton and Jackson July 7.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Rodney and Fayette September 29-October 3 (Detachment).
- Expedition from Natchez to Woodville October 4-11 (Detachment).
- Operations in Issaqueena and Washington Counties October 24-31.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Gaines Landing, Ark., and Bayou Macon, La., November 6-8.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City November 23-December 4.
- Moved to Memphis, Tenn., December.
- Grierson's Raid on Mobile & Ohio R. R. December 21, 1864, to Janary 15, 1865.
- Franklin Creek December 21-22.
- Egypt Station December 28, 1864.
- Franklin Jannary 2, 1865.
- Expedition from Memphis to Marion, Ark., January 19-22.
- Marion, Ark., January 20-21, 1865,
- Duty on Memphis & Charleston R. R. between Memphis and Grand Junction,
- Headquarters at LaGrange, Tenn., January to September, 1865.
- Expedition from Memphis to Brownsville, Miss., April 23-26.
- Mustered out September 30, 1865.
Company "G" served detached as Headquarters Guard, 17th Army Corps, and participated in following:
- Movements on Bruinsburg and turning Grand Gulf April 25-30, 1863.
- Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4.
- Messenger's Ferry, Big Black River, May 29-30 and July 4.
- Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 5-10.
- Siege of Jackson July 10-17.
- In Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign June 8 to September 8, 1864.
- About Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2.
- Assault on Kenesaw June 27.
- Chattahoochie River July 3-17.
- Battle of Atlanta July 29.
- Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
- Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30.
- Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1.
- March to the sea November 15-December 10.
- Little Ogeechee River December 4.
- Station No. 6, Georgia Central R. R., December 4.
- Siege of Savannah December 10-21.
Regiment lost during service
- 2 Officers and 32 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 8 Officers and 237 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 279.
[11th Illinois Cavalry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/cwc11-dyer.html
Last update: Saturday, 02-Dec-1995 23:34:45 CST
Copyright © 1996-2017 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.