10th REGIMENT CAVALRY
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
10th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
- Organized at Camp Butler, Ill., and mustered in November 25, 1861.
- Moved to Quincy, Ill., December 20,
- thence to Benton Barracks, Mo., March 13, 1862.
- Moved to Springfield, Mo., April 4.
- Attached to District of Southwest Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, to October, 1862.
- [See also attachments of 1st Battalion]
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of the Frontier, Dept. of Missouri, to December, 1862.
- Unattached, Army of the Frontier, to February, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of the Frontier, to May, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, District of Southeast Missouri, to August, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Arkansas Expedition, to December, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Army of Arkansas, to January 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, 7th Army Corps, Dept. of Arkansas, to May, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 7th Army Corps, to September, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Division, 7th Army Corps, to February, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, 7th Army Corps, to April, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Military Division West Mississippi. to May, 1865.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Military Division West Mississippi, to July, 1865.
- Dept. of Texas to November, 1865.
- Near Waynesvilles Mo., May 31, 1862 (Co. "K").
- Neosho May 31.
- [1st Battalion (Cos. "A," "D," "G" and "K") detached and ordered to join Gen. Curtis June 15, 1862.]
- Expedition to Keittsville, Mo. July 8-20.
- Near Fayetteville, Ark., July 15.
- Moved to Vera Cruz August 10,
- to Marshfield August 16, and duty there,
- operating from Springfield to Cane Hill, Ark., till November 13.
- Marshfield, Mo., October 20 (Detachment).
- Clark's Mills, Douglass County, November 7 (Co. "C").
- Battle of Prairie Grove, Ark., December 7.
- 3rd Battalion (Cos. "C," "F," "I" and "M") moved to Fayetteville, Ark., December 8, and duty there till March, 1863, rejoining Regiment in Missouri.
- Expedition over Boston Mountains to Van Buren December 27-29, 1862 (Cos. "B," "E," "H" and "L").
- 2nd Battalion (Cos. "B," "E," "II" and "L") moved to Huntsville January, 1863, and joined Totten.
- Moved to Flat Creek February, 1863, thence to Rolla, Mo.
- Scout from Fayetteville to Van Buren January 23-27, 1863 (3rd Battalion).
- Mulberry Springs January 27.
- Scout from Fayetteville to Arkansas River February 5-12 (3rd Battalion).
- Thelkelds' Ferry February 6.
- Near Van Buren February 10.
- Operations against Marmaduke April 17-May 2.
- At Pilot Knob till July Steele's Campaign against Little Rock July 1-September 10.
- Pursuit of Price September 11-13.
- Near Little Rock September 11.
- Duty at Little Rock till March, 1864.
- Steele's Expedition to Camden March 23-May 3.
- Elkins' Ferry April 3-4.
- Prairie D'Ann April 9-13.
- Jenkins' Ferry, Camden, April 15.
- Near Camden April 20.
- Jenkins' Ferry, Saline River, April 30.
- Operations against Shelby north of the Arkansas River May 13-31.
- Scouts from Huntersville and Clinton June 4-17.
- Operations in Arkansas July 1-31.
- Near Huntersville July 8 (Detachment),
- Near Little Rock July 10 (Detachment).
- Bayou des Arc July 14.
- Duty at Little Rock, Pine Bluff and Brownsville and in the Dept. of Arkansas to November, 1865.
- Expedition from Little Rock to Little Red River August 6-16 1864.
- Expedition from Little Rock to Searcy, Fairview and Augusta in pursuit of Shelby August 27-September 6, 1864.
- Expedition from Pine Bluff September 9-12.
- Near Monticello September 10 (Detachment).
- Brewer's House September 11 (Detachment).
- Expedition from Brownsville to Cotton Plant October 26-November 2 (Detachment).
- Expedition from Brownsville to Fairview November 28-December 8.
- Duty in Arkansas till June 6, 1865.
- Moved to Shreveport, La., June 6-17,
- thence marched to San Antonio, Texas, July 8-August 1;
- duty there till November, 1865.
- ordered to join Gen. Curtis June 15, 1862.
- Reported at Jacksonport, Ark., July 4, 1862.
- Attached to Army of Southwest Missouri and District of Eastern Arkansas to December, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, 13th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to May, 1863.
- Detached Brigade District of Northeast Louisiana to June, 1863.
- Unattached, 13th Army Corps, to July, 1863.
- March to Helena, Ark., July 4-12, 1862
- Action at Cotton Plant, Ark., July 7.
- Moved to Oldtown Landing August 6, and
- duty there till October.
- Moved to Helena October 6.
- Expedition to mouth of White River November 16-20.
- Washburn's Expedition to Oakland Miss., November 27-December 7.
- Arkansas Post, Ark., January 11, 1863,
- Yazoo Pass Expedition February 24-April 8, 1863.
- Siege operations against Vicksburg, Miss., April to July.
- Near Richmond, La., June 6.
- Milliken's Bend and Young's Point, La., June 6-7.
- Expedition from Young's Point to Richmond June 14-16.
- Richmond June 16.
- Moved to Helena, Ark., July, and
- rejoined Regiment near Wittsburg, Ark., August 1, 1863.
- Regiment mustered out November 22, 1865.
Regiment lost during service
- 1 Officer and 24 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 3 Officers and 262 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 290.
[10th Illinois Cavalry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/cwc10-dyer.html
Last update: Friday, 03-Nov-1995 00:04:45 CST
Copyright © 1996-2017 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.