Illinois in the Civil War

History of Eighty-Sixth Infantry

Transcribed from pp. 216-217, v. 5, Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois for the Years 1861-1866
The Eighty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry was mustered intot he [sic] service by Captain R. C. Ewing, on the 27th day of August, 1862, at Camp Lyon, Peoria, Ill., at which time it numbered 923 men, rank and file.

On the 7th of September, the Regiment embarked for Louisville, Ky., where it remained until the 1st of October, when it joined in the pursuit of Bragg, under the command of General Buell. On the 8th day of October was fought the battle of Chaplin Hills, or Perryville, in which the Eighty-sixth had the advance, and in a charge, there was 1 killed and 13 wounded.

October 11th, marched after Bragg, in his retreat to Crab Orchard, Ky.; then returned and marched to Nashville, Tenn., arriving at Nashville November 7th.

June 30, 1863, marched to Murfreesboro, Tenn., and returned to Nashville July 18.

August 11, Colonel David D. Irons died, and on August 20 the Regiment left Nashville and marched to Brentwood. Remained in that vicinity till August 28, then marched to Columbia, Tenn.

September 4, marched to Huntsville, Ala. thence to Bridgeport, where we arrived September 14; crossed the river on pontoons, and marched to Chattanooga, Tenn., arriving there September 16, and was assigned to the Reserve Corps, General Gordon Granger.

On September 19 and 20, participated in the battle of Chickamauga, losing one killed, four wounded and one captured.

On September 25, crossed the Tennessee River, marched six miles up the river, and guarded a ford till November 23, when the Regiment assisted General Sherman to float his pontoons down the river at night, cross his army, capture a rebel post, and make the attack on the north end of Missionary Ridge; then marched in pursuit of Bragg to Ringgold, Ga.

On November 29, marched for Knoxville, Tenn., to the relief of General Burnside, and returned to Chattanooga. Crossed the Tennessee River and occupied the old camp ground, six miles above, on December 18. On this march one man was accidentally killed.

On the 26th day of December we recrossed the Tennessee River and encamped near Chickamauga Station.

In February, 1864, the Regiment joined in a reconnoissance [sic], going as far as Buzzard Roost, where it took part in the engagement of that name, losing one killed and seven wounded. Then returned to camp where it stayed until March 6, when marched to Lee's and Gordon's Mills; (here on account of sickness Lieutenant Colonel D. W. Magee resigned, and Major Allen L. Fahnestock was commissioned as Lieutenant Colonel, and Captain J. F. Thomas as Major.) Stayed there till May 3, then marched to Ringgold, where General Sherman was concentrating his grand army for the march upon Atlanta; left Ringgold on the 5th, and arrived at Tunnel Hill the 7th.

On the 10th of May, in the fight near Buzzard Roost, one man wounded; then moved to the right through Snake Creek Gap, and on the 14th and 15th participated in the battle of Resaca, Ga., losing four wounded and one missing. Moved from Resaca 16th, and arrived in Rome, Ga., on the 17th; was in the fight at Rome, losing 5 killed and 12 wounded.

On May 24 marched from Rome to Dallas; had a skirmish, having one man wounded and one accidentally wounded; then moved through Ackworth and arrived at Kenesaw June 15; while in front of Kenesaw lost one killed and seven wounded.

In making a charge on Kenesaw on June 27, the Regiment lost 26 killed, 69 wounded and 12 missing, holding its position till the 2d day of July; during the interim it lost 2 killed and 7 wounded.

July 3, marched after the enemy to the Chattahoochie River, losing 2 men wounded, where it arrived July 10.

On July 18, moved up, crossed the river, and skirmished to Peach Tree Creek.

On the 19th, engaged in the battle of Peach Tree Creek, losing 4 killed and 11 wounded.

On September 4, guarded 1, 600 prisoners from Jonesboro to Atlanta. Left Atlanta September 29, on the cars to Chattanooga, Tenn., thence to Stevenson, Ala.; from Stevenson to Athens, Ala.; thence marched to Florence, on the Tennessee River, and drove General Forrest across the river.

Left Florence October 10, for Chattanooga, arriving there on the 14th. On the 18th, marched from Chattanooga to Lee's and Gordon's Mills. Then moved after Hood's Army to near Galesville, Ala., then marched back to Rome Ga., arriving there October 29. On October 31, marched to Kingston, Ga.

On November 8, started for Atlanta, Ga., arriving there on November 15.

On November 16, the Eighty-sixth took part in "Sherman's March to the Sea," sharing in all its perils and privations, reaching Savannah December 11, with the loss of one man wounded and 6 captured.

Left Savannah January 20, 1865, marched up, and crossed the Savannah River into South Carolina; passed through Brighton and Barnwell District, arriving at Willison February 12, a small town on the Charleston and Augusta Railroad, and came to the South Edisto River, and on the 14th crossed the North Edisto River. February 17, crossed the Saluda River near Columbia, S. C., and crossed the Congaree River in the evening; arrived at the Cahawba River February 24.

On February 27, while obtaining forage, five men were captured by the rebels. On the 28th, crossed the Cahawba River; crossed the State line into North Carolina March 4.

On March 7, crossed the Great Pee Dee River; arrived at Fayetteville, N.C., March 11. March 12, passed through Fayetteville, crossed the Cape Fear River, and engaged the enemy near Averysboro. The loss in this engagement was two men killed and three wounded.

On the 17th, marched for Bentonville, N. C.; passed Coxes Ferry and camped on the Neuse River; on the 23d, arrived in Goldsboro, N. C.

On April 10, marched for Raleigh, N. C.; fought the battle on the 19th, gained a complete victory. The loss of this battle was one killed and 22 wounded.

March 22, started for Goldsboro, N. C.; arrived there April 13, then followed General Johnson to the Cape Fear River. Remained there till the 21st, when marched to Holly Springs, and on April 29 marched back to Raleigh, N. C.

On May 1, started on march for Richmond, Va., arriving there the 7th. Left Richmond May 11, arriving at Washington, D. C., May 19.

On May 24, participated in the Grand Review, and camped near the Soldiers' Home. Was mustered out of the service while there, on June 6, 1865.

June 8, left Washington on the cars, passed through Baltimore, Md., and Pittsburg, Pa., arriving in Chicago, Ill., June 11.

On June 21, the Eighty-sixth received their pay and final discharge. Left Chicago, Ill., 22d, arriving in Peoria, Ill., 23d. As some were killed, and some wounded, while on the march, through skirmishing, they were not included in this report, but by giving a summarized statement, the exact status of all killed, wounded, etc. up to the date of discharge, is disclosed, viz:

| Main Page | About this Site |

Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.

This document:
Last update: Thursday, 13-Mar-1997 16:31:38 CST

Copyright © 1996-2019 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.