83rd REGIMENT INFANTRY.
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
83rd REGIMENT INFANTRY.
- Organized at Monmouth, Ill. and
- mustered in August 21, 1862.
- Moved to Cairo, Ill. August 26-29,
- thence to Fort Henry September 3,
- and to Fort Donelson, Tenn.,September 6.
- Attached to garrison of Forts Henry, Donelson and Heiman, District
of Columbus, Dept. of the Tennessee, to November, 1862.
- District of Columbus, 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to January, 1863.
- District of Columbus, 16th Army Corps, to June, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Reserve Corps, Dept. of the Cumberland, to October, 1863.
- Garrison of Clarksville, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, to April, 1864.
- Unassigned, 4th Division, 20th Army Corps, Dept. of the Cumberland, to March, 1865.
- 6th Sub-District, Middle Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland, to June, 1865.
- Garrison duty at Forts Heiman (2 Companies), Henry (3 Companies) and Donelson, Tenn. till September 20, 1863.
- Expedition from Fort Donelson to Waverly Tenn., October 22-25, 1862.
- Near Waverly and Richland Creek October 23.
- Cooley's Mill October 23.
- Near Garrettsburg Ky., November 6.
- Fort Donelson Road January 2, 1863.
- Cumberland Iron Works, repulse of Forest's attack on Fort Donelson, February 3.
- Right wing moved to Clarksville, Tenn., September 20, 1863.
- Garrison duty at Clarksville and Fort Donelson and operating against guerrillas in Northwest Tennessee and Southwest Kentucky till December, 1864.
- Action at Budd's Creek, Clarksville, October 28, 1863.
- Pine Bluff, Tennessee River', August 19-20, 1864.
- Garrison duty at Nashville till June, 1865.
- Mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., June 26, and
- discharged at Chicago, III., July 5, 1865.
Regiment lost during service
- 4 Officers and 34 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 1 Officer and 82 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 121.
[83rd Illinois Infantry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/cw83-dyer.html
Last update: Monday, 25-Sep-1995 10:40:50 CDT
Copyright © 1996-2017 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.