74th REGIMENT INFANTRY.
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
74th REGIMENT INFANTRY.
- Organized at Rockford, III., and
- mustered in September 4, 1862.
- Moved to Louisville, Ky., September 28-30.
- Attached to 30th Brigade, 9th Division, Army of the Ohio, to October, 1862.
- 30th Brigade, 9th Division, 3rd Corps Army Ohio, to November, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Right Wing 14th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to January, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 20th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 4th Army Corps, to June, 1865.
- Pursuit of Bragg into Kentucky October 1-16, 1862.
- Chaplin Hills near Perryville October 6-7.
- Battle of Perryville October 8.
- Lancaster October 15.
- March to Nashville, Tenn., October 16-November 7, and
- duty there till December 26.
- Wilson's Creek Pike December 25.
- Advance on Murfreesboro, Tenn., December 26-30.
- Nolensville, Knob Gap, December 26.
- Battle of Stone's River December 30-31, 1862, and January 1-3, 1863.
- At Murfreesboro till June.
- Reconnoissance from Salem to Versailles March 9-14.
- Operations on Edgeville Pike June 4.
- Middle Tennessee or Tullahoma Campaign June 22-July 7.
- Liberty Gap June 22-24, and June 24-27.
- Occupation of Middle Tennessee till August 16.
- Passage of Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign August 16-September 22.
- Guard supply trains over mountains in rear of Bragg's army during battle of Chickamauga.
- Near Chattanooga September 22-24.
- Siege of Chattanooga September 24-November 23.
- Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27.
- Orchard Knob November 23-24.
- Mission Ridge November 25.
- Pursuit to Graysville November 26-27.
- March to relief of Knoxville, Tenn., November 28-December 8.
- Operations in East Tennessee till February, 1864.
- Moved to Chattanooga and thence to Cleveland, Tenn.
- Duty there till May.
- Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1-September 8.
- Tunnel Hill May 6-7.
- Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge May 8-11.
- Buzzard's Roost Gap May 8-9.
- Demonstration on Dalton May 9-13.
- Battle of Resaca May 14-15.
- Adairsville May 17.
- Near Kingston May 18-19.
- Near Cassville May 19.
- Advance on Dallas May 22-25.
- Operations on Line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battle about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5.
- Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2.
- Pine Hill June 11-14.
- Lost Mountain June 15-17.
- Assault on Kenesaw June 27.
- Ruff's Station July 4.
- Chattahoochie River June 5-17.
- Buckhead, Nancy's Creek, July 18.
- Peach Tree Creek July 19-20.
- Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
- Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30.
- Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1.
- Lovejoy Station September 2-6.
- Operations against Hood and Forest in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3.
- Nashville Campaign November-December.
- Columbia, Duck River, November 24-27.
- Spring Hill November 29.
- Battle of Franklin November 30.
- Battle of Nashville December 15-16.
- Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28.
- Moved to Huntsville, Ala., and duty there till March 1865.
- Operations in East Tennessee March 28-April 19.
- Moved to Nashville, Tenn., and duty there till June.
- Mustered out June 10, 1865.
Regiment lost during service
- 5 Officers and 78 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 3 Officers and 116 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 202.
[74th Illinois Infantry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/cw74-dyer.html
Last update: Wednesday, 24-Jan-1996 21:43:03 CST
Copyright © 1996-2018 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.