122nd REGIMENT INFANTRY
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
122nd REGIMENT INFANTRY.
- Organized at Carlinville, Ill., and
- mustered in 4 September 1862.
- Moved to Columbus, Ky, thence to Trenton, Tenn., October 8-12,1862, and
duty there till December 18.
- Attached to District of Jackson, Tenn., 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee to December 1862.
- 4th Brigade, District of Jackson, 16th Army Corps, to February 1863
- 2nd Brigade, District of Corinth, 16th Army Corps, to March 1863
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps to December 1863
- District of Columbus, Ky., 6th Division, 16th Army Corps, to June 1864
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Army Corps to November 1864
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Army Corps, to December 1864
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Detachment Army of the Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland to February, 1865
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps (New), Military Division West Mississippi, to July, 1865.
- Right Wing of Regiment moved from Trenton, Tenn. to Humboldt, Tenn.,
November 12, 1862 to hold Mobile & Ohio R.R. from Trenton to Jackson.
- Regiment moved to Jackson, Tenn., December 18, 1862.
- Operations against Forest in West Tennessee December 18, 1862 - January
- Action at Salem Cemetery, near Jackson December 19
- Parker's Cross Roads December 30
- Battle at Red Mound (or Parker's Cross Roads) December 31, 1862
- At Trenton, Tenn. till February 17
- Moved to Corinth, Miss. February 17 and
- duty there till June 24
- Expedition to Northern Alabama, April 15 - May 8
- Rock Creek, near Tuscumbia, April 22
- Tuscumbia, April 23
- Town Creek, April 28
- Guard Memphis & Charleston R.R. from Middletown to Grand Junction,
with Headquarters at Salisbury, Tennessee, June 25-October 31, 1863
- Moved to Iuka, Miss. October 31 - November 1,
- thence to Eastport, Miss. November 5 and
- duty there till December 8
- Moved to Paducah, Ky. December 8 and
- duty there till January 18, 1864
- Moved to Cairo, Ill. January 18,and
- duty there till June
- Operations against Forest in West Tennessee and Kentucky March 16- April 14,1864
- Repulse of Forrest's attack on Paducah, Ky. March 25 (Co's C,H,and K)
- Moved to LaGrange, Tenn. June 26-July 3, 1864
- Smith's Expedition to Tupelo, Miss and return to Memphis Tenn. July 5-21, 1864
- Battle of Harrisburg near Tupelo: July 14-15
- Old Town Creek July 15
- Smith's Expedition to Oxford, Miss., August 1 - 30
- Moved to St. Louis, Mo. September 8
- Pursuit of Price through Missouri: September to November
- Moved to Nashville, Tenn., November 25-December 1
- Battles of Nashville: December 15-16
- Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28
- Moved to Eastport, Miss. and
- duty there till February 1865
- Movement to New Orleans, LA, February 9-21
- thence to Dauphin Island, Ala., March 6
- Campaign against Mobile and its defences, March 22-April 12
- Siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely March 26-April 8
- Assault and capture of Fort Blakely, April 9
- March to Montgomery April 13 - 26 and
- duty there till June 5.
- Moved to Mobile June 5 and duty there till July 15.
- Mustered out at Mobile July 15.
- discharged at Springfield, Ill. August 4, 1865.
Regiment lost during service
- 2 Officers and 38 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 121 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total, 161.
[122nd Illinois Infantry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
Contact the webmaster
Web Hosting donated by: Infobahn Outfitters, Inc.
This document: http://illinois.outfitters.com/illinois/history/civil/cw122-dyer.html
Last update: Sunday, 26-Nov-1995 21:10:45 CST
Copyright © 1996-2017 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc, All rights reserved.