Points of Interest
Henderson County, Illinois, USA
- Auction Barn - 1 mi E. of Jct. 94 & 1050N. Follow signs.
- Historic barn built for 1904 World's Fair at St. Louis & moved in
1906 by the Richey family of Stronghurst to this spot.
- Bald Bluff Mound - Northeast of Oquawka and open only during the Heritage Trail event in September.
- Rich in history the bluff rises 300 ft. above the Mississippi Valley, offering an awe-inspiring view. Pioneers & Indians used it as a look-out.
- Big River State Forest - 10 mi north of IL Rt 164 on Keithsburg Rd.
- Visit the historic forest Fire Tower, one of the last remaining in Illinois.
- Allaman [Henderson] Covered Bridge
- Built in 1866 by Jacob Allaman, the bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. The bridge was washed downstream by flood waters of '83, but was reconstructed on the original site by historical society members and the IL Dept of Transportation, using many of the original timbers.
- Lookout Point (Rest Area) - Two mi north of Dallas City on Rt. 96.
- Highest point in Henderson Co with spectacular view of river and verdant farm land. Steps provided to the TOP.
- Lincoln/Sac Indian Trail & Pioneer Cemetery
- This segment of the early pioneer trail, used by Abe Lincoln during the Black Hawk Wars, and the old cemetery were rediscovered in 1982 by Chuck Shinkle. Located in Big River State Forest the trail and cemetery are clearly marked and maintained. Stop by Big River State Forest Hdq. for directions.
- Lock & Dam #18 on the Mississippi River
- Built between 1933-1937 at a cost of 9 million dollars, the site is open to the public during daylight hours every day. Brochures available.
- World War I Memorial - Northwest of Media on road 975N
- visit the WWI Stone Memorial which overlooks Walnut Grove Memorial Cemetery. This marks the site of the old Walnut Grove United Presbyterian Church on Ellison Creek.
- United Methodist Church - On N 3rd St, 2 blocks N of Schuyler in Oquawka
- This historic church building has been in continuous use
since 1842. Alexis Phelps' funeral was attended by A. Lincoln, a friend of the family.
- Civil War Monument Park - On Rt. 164 1 blk south of Schuyler St. in Oquawka.
- The monument was dedicated on July 4, 1887 by the citizens of Henderson Co to remember their 200 Civil War dead.
- Phelps House - N 2nd St & river bank, Oquawka.
- Built in 1833 by Alexis Phelps. A legendary stop on the underground railroad, an Illinois Historic Site and in the National Register of Historic Places. Ownedby the Henderson Co Historical Soc, their restoration of this home for use as a Bed and Breakfast Inn may be viewed by the public.
- Oquawka Museum - On N 2nd St, Oquawka
- Home of Justice Schlotzhauer, who was an advance rep. for Ringling Bros. Circus. Now owned by the Village of Oquawka, this old home serves as the Village Museum.
- South Henderson Church
- The South Henderson Congregation was organized July 4, 1835, the first in the county. This beautiful church building was built in 1855, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.Two Revolutionary War and 29 Civil War veterans are buried in the adjacent cemetery, as is Elizabeth A. Robbin, Daniel Boone's granddaughter.
| Henderson County | Infobahn Outfitters |
Looking for more info?
Copyright © 1995-2020 Infobahn Outfitters, Inc., All rights reserved.